This article describes a new approach to representing pitch in C64 playroutines. The intended audience is people with a general understanding of C64 coding and SID playroutine design, although readers outside this somewhat narrow demographic may still find the article interesting. Read more.
Posted Tuesday 31-Mar-2015 00:44, 4 comments.
- A Computer In My Backpack (C64 executable file, 4325 bytes)
- A Computer In My Backpack (SID tune, 4990 bytes)
- Linus Akesson - A Computer In My Backpack (MP3, 2.7 MB)
Posted Monday 28-Mar-2016 13:51, 7 comments.
- Allt under himmelens fäste (SID, 6641 bytes)
- Allt under himmelens fäste (C64 executable file, 6517 bytes)
- Linus Åkesson - Allt under himmelens fäste (MP3, 3.1 MB)
Posted Thursday 9-Aug-2007 10:32, 3 comments.
Making a demo in just 256 bytes would be a formidable challenge regardless of platform. A Mind Is Born is my attempt to do it on the Commodore 64. In the absence of an actual 256-byte compo, it was submitted to the Oldskool 4K Intro compo at Revision 2017, where it ended up on 1st place. Read more.
Posted Thursday 20-Apr-2017 08:13, 29 comments.
Posted Sunday 17-Apr-2016 23:25, 3 comments.
This piece, Shchedryk, was written by Ukrainan composer Mykola Leontovych in 1916, as an assignment for a harmony course. The ostinato is an ancient new year's chant. Peter Wilhousky wrote the English lyrics in 1936, transforming the song into a Christmas carol. Read more.
- lft_chipophone_carol_of_the_bells (DivX, 30 MB)
- Linus Akesson - Chipophone - Carol of the Bells (MP3, 1.1 MB)
Posted Sunday 19-Dec-2010 19:01, 4 comments.
- lft_craft (Original video clip, Xvid, 89.4 MB)
- lft_craft_capture (Full screen video capture, H.264, 85.5 MB)
- Linus Akesson - Craft (Soundtrack, MP3, 3.3 MB)
- lft_craft_src (Schematics, firmware binaries and source code, 70.5 KB)
Posted Thursday 27-Mar-2008 21:33, 169 comments.
Title theme for the C64 game Delta, composed by Rob Hubbard in 1987, performed live on the Chipophone. The piece was heavily inspired by the final movement of the Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack which was composed by Philip Glass in 1982. Read more.
Posted Wednesday 25-Aug-2010 20:23, 6 comments.
I was asked to compose a tune to a chip disk, early in 2006, but the whole project appears to have been abandoned. So I'll just put my song here instead. Read more.
- Linus Akesson - First Day of Spring (MP3, 4.7 MB)
- Linus Akesson - First Day of Spring (AHX, 8397 bytes)
Posted Tuesday 2-Jan-2007 14:55, 0 comments.
Named after one of the characteristic features of the SID chip, Hardsync is a C64 party game that follows in the (wait for it...) footsteps of games like Dance Dance Revolution and StepMania. Read more.
- hardsync (D64, 171 KB)
- Hardsync (Sid, 4.8 KB)
- Linus Akesson - Hardsync - Menu (MP3, 1.7 MB)
- Linus Akesson - Hardsync - Hi-score and menu (MP3, 2.5 MB)
- hardsync-tools-1.0 (Source tarball, 11 KB)
Posted Thursday 8-Nov-2012 15:23, 10 comments.
International Karate, composed by Rob Hubbard in 1986. This one turned out to be incredibly fun to play! Hope you'll enjoy listening as well. Watch out for the two places where new loops are recorded on the fly. Read more.
- lft_chipophone_international_karate (DivX, 261 MB)
- Linus Akesson - Chipophone - International Karate (MP3, 10 MB)
Posted Sunday 20-Feb-2011 22:39, 7 comments.
A fun event at Backslash 2007 was the 4 KB tracked music compo. My contribution was in the MOD format (ProTracker), which turned out to be quite a challenging restriction. Read more.
Posted Wednesday 1-Aug-2007 19:01, 1 comment.
Posted in ancient times, 4 comments.
- lft_chipophone_little_nemo (DivX, 96 MB)
- Linus Akesson - Chipophone - Little Nemo The Dream Master (MP3, 3.8 MB)
- little_nemo_epilogue (Sheet music, PDF, 137 KB)
Posted Sunday 12-Dec-2010 10:44, 1 comment.
I got the opportunity to play my Pocket Operators live at the Datastorm demoparty in Gothenburg, in front of about 200 people. The performance mainly contains my own compositions reinterpreted for the POs, but I've thrown in a couple of covers of classic C64 tunes too for good measure. Enjoy! Read more.
Posted Friday 7-Apr-2017 06:48, 3 comments.
I reinterpreted some of my tunes live on Pocket Operators at X'2016. The concert went well, but it wasn't recorded. Instead, here's a video of one of my rehearsal sessions, with some audience-contributed footage from the concert edited in. Read more.
Posted Monday 7-Nov-2016 08:13, 0 comments.
The opening theme from Mega Man 3 (original japanese title: Rockman 3). For this tune, I implemented a new feature that allows me to record a loop into memory, and start the playback using a pedal at a later time. Read more.
- lft_chipophone_mega_man_3_intro (DivX, 46 MB)
- Linus Akesson - Chipophone - Mega Man 3 Intro (MP3, 1.6 MB)
Posted Sunday 13-Feb-2011 21:40, 3 comments.
Metroid, intro and ending tunes, composed by Hirokazu "Hip" Tanaka in 1986. Read more.
- lft_chipophone_metroid_part1 (DivX, 101 MB)
- Linus Akesson - Chipophone - Metroid, intro (MP3, 1.6 MB)
- Linus Akesson - Chipophone - Metroid, ending (MP3, 2.1 MB)
Posted Monday 28-Feb-2011 19:12, 3 comments.
Metroid, in-game music, composed by Hirokazu "Hip" Tanaka in 1986. Read more.
- lft_chipophone_metroid_part2 (DivX, 91 MB)
- Linus Akesson - Chipophone - Metroid, in-game music (MP3, 3.5 MB)
Posted Sunday 13-Mar-2011 22:26, 3 comments.
Sorry, I just had to do this. =) Read more.
- lft_chipophone_metrolled (DivX, 56 MB)
- Linus Akesson - Chipophone - Never Gonna Give You Up (MP3, 1.9 MB)
Posted Tuesday 8-Mar-2011 19:34, 8 comments.
- Lft-WellAdjusted (C64 executable file, 6.1 kB)
- Perfectly Well-Adjusted (SID file, 5.6 kB)
- Linus Akesson - Perfectly Well-Adjusted (MP3 file, 2.7 MB)
Posted Tuesday 1-Nov-2016 00:25, 0 comments.
- lft_phasor_presentation_and_cam_1280x720 (Presentation video with demo, 1280x720, 71 MB)
- lft_phasor_capture (High quality capture by Barta Zoli, 720x576, 476 MB)
- Linus Akesson - Phasor (Soundtrack, MP3, 3.9 MB)
- lft-phasor-src (Schematics, firmware binaries and source code, 80 kB)
Posted Wednesday 7-Apr-2010 15:58, 42 comments.
- lft_chipophone_pokemon_tcg (DivX, 81 MB)
- Linus Akesson - Chipophone - Pokemon Trading Card Game, Credits (MP3, 3.2 MB)
Posted Monday 20-Sep-2010 22:11, 4 comments.
- lft_power_ninja_action_challenge_atmega88 (IntelHex firmware image, 15 kB)
- Linus Akesson - Power Ninja Action Challenge (MP3, 3.2 MB)
Posted Sunday 19-Jul-2009 19:47, 13 comments.
- lft-shards-of-fancy (D64 disk image, 171 kB)
- Shards_of_Fancy (SID tune, 4.8 kB)
- Linus Akesson - Shards of Fancy (MP3, 4.1 MB)
Posted Tuesday 2-Apr-2013 18:01, 1 comment.
This SID tune was composed for Breakpoint 2009. It ended up 7th in the Oldschool Executable Music compo, which isn't too bad considering its original approach. Read more.
- Slaepwerigne (SID, 6795 bytes)
- Slaepwerigne (C64 executable file, 6671 bytes)
- Linus Åkesson - Slaepwerigne (MP3, 1.4 MB)
Posted Tuesday 5-May-2009 07:35, 0 comments.
- Specular_Highlight (SID tune, 9.6 kB)
- Specular_Highlight (C64 executable file, 9.7 kB)
- Linus Akesson - Specular Highlight (MP3, 3.3 MB)
Posted Wednesday 14-May-2014 00:46, 4 comments.
The bitbuf is a portable 8-bit minimalistic live looping machine. Designed as a tool for chip music improvisation and live performances, it aims to provide a set of simple yet versatile features. It's a work in progress, but I've made a prototype which is already quite functional and enjoyable to work with. Read more.
- lft_bitbuf_presentation (Video, 646 MB)
Posted Thursday 22-Dec-2011 15:20, 173 comments.
- kryo-hardware_chiptune (Original zipped release, DivX, 18.5 MB)
- Linus Akesson - The hardware chiptune project song (Recorded MP3, 1.5 MB)
- hardwarechiptune-cad (Schematic, EPS source code, 8.6 KB)
- hardwarechiptune-cad (Schematic, PDF, 31.9 KB)
- hardwarechiptune-tracker (Tracker with source code, docs and song data, 26.0 KB)
- hardwarechiptune-src (AVR source code, 10.5 KB)
Posted Saturday 30-Jun-2007 13:04, 80 comments.
In an attempt to squeeze as much emotion as possible into a tiny chip, I managed to fit Camille Saint-Saëns' The Swan into 480 (out of 1024) bytes of ROM on an ATtiny15. The microcontroller runs at 1.6 MHz and provides 32 bytes of RAM (actually registers). Read more.
- Linus Akesson - The Swan (Video, 1280x720, Ogg Theora/Vorbis, 115 MB)
- Linus Akesson - The Swan (Soundtrack, MP3, 2.8 MB)
- lft-swan-src (Source code, 4 kB)
- lft-swan-cad (Schematics, PDF, 12 kB)
Posted Monday 26-Apr-2010 18:12, 9 comments.
One of Rob Hubbard's earliest tunes. The slide effects are triggered by pedals; other pedals are mapped to drum sounds. I goofed up considerably at the end, but decided to upload anyway. Hope you don't mind too much. Read more.
- lft_chipophone_thing_on_a_spring (DivX, 92 MB)
- Linus Akesson - Chipophone - Thing On A Spring (MP3, 3.6 MB)
Posted Sunday 6-Feb-2011 21:40, 3 comments.
The C64 demo Think Twice III, released by The Judges in 1987, is perhaps best known for its soundtrack by Jeroen Kimmel (Red). This is my Chipophone interpretation of the classic SID power ballad. Read more.
Posted Sunday 12-Sep-2010 20:41, 7 comments.
- To Die For (C64 executable, 4497 bytes)
- To Die For (SID tune, 4734 bytes)
- Linus Akesson - To Die For (MP3, 2.7 MB)
Posted Wednesday 6-Jul-2016 00:14, 0 comments.
- Linus Akesson - Wintergatan Marble Machine 8-bit Jam (MP3, 3.8 MB)
Posted Monday 14-Mar-2016 21:54, 2 comments.
- Your Heptacular Eyes (C64 executable, 5703 bytes)
- Your Heptacular Eyes (SID tune, 6526 bytes)
- Linus Akesson - Your Heptacular Eyes (MP3, 3.2 MB)
Posted Wednesday 6-Jul-2016 00:14, 0 comments.