Forum
Register
Log in
Latest comments
Syndication
RSS feed
Feedback

Forum comments in chronological order

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what people (other than myself) write in the forums. Please report any abuse, such as insults, slander, spam and illegal material, and I will take appropriate actions. Don't feed the trolls.

Jag tar inget ansvar för det som skrivs i forumet, förutom mina egna inlägg. Vänligen rapportera alla inlägg som bryter mot reglerna, så ska jag se vad jag kan göra. Som regelbrott räknas till exempel förolämpningar, förtal, spam och olagligt material. Mata inte trålarna.

Jul 2016

Metrolled

Anonymous
Sun 3-Jul-2016 07:16
ownd

Well played sir. Well played. :)

A case against syntax highlighting

Anonymous
Wed 6-Jul-2016 12:24
I cannot agree.
Colores can be misleading or helpful. In your paragraph of quoting, you make it misleading, although you marked all words of same type with the same color, because it's not structured like we do in programming and so it cannot stand. Even you argue it's not part of your article, the image you use tends to mislead readers to agree with your point. So it's not proper.

And, if we think colors can be distracting, can indentations be? And wrong formatting? My point is, all these visual elements help us to understand the semantic part, and are useful for many. If they mislead you, they are not properly used, doesn't mean it is nothing worthy. And, if you skim and ignore important informations, maybe you skim wrongly. You cannot blame the colors.

One example of mine: when I enter a new Company, I need to adapt myself into new projects, and syntax coloring helps me to identify each element and each type, to get to know the structure of every function, method, class, etc. If I have glipsed several lines of Calendar.getXXX(), which has a distinct color to make themselves more distinguishable, I know this part is about processing date and I skip this part to the next bloc. At last we seperate code in different lines, we use indentations, we use spaces to make it more readable, not only syntax coloring. Reading code is a combination of format, not only marking them with color.

So, I insist that if we find that the format or syntax coloring is misleading, it may not because we are not paying attention, or they distracted us, but we use them in a wrong way, so we change them to fit our purposes.

Extended discussion for Cryptic Crossword #2

Anonymous
Thu 7-Jul-2016 11:13
Fantastic. (I haven’t solved it, but did figure out all clues except one and understood the construction.)

I didn’t like PENS for WINGS.
It’s not abundantly clear if LOOP or POOL is the answer (because “over” could modify both before and after).
The Eve clue is way too hard and doesn’t even contain a straight definition.

—Thore
Anonymous
Thu 7-Jul-2016 11:18
Oh, and some solvers dislike removal of an anagram (as in ALE*). According to that school, subtracted letters must be present in the right order.
lft
Linus Åkesson
Thu 7-Jul-2016 20:37
Your first objection is a matter of a pinion (ba-dum tsch!), but I've updated the clue to make it more fair. And you're right about Eve, so I turned her into an ornament. The loop/pool ambiguity is duly noted, but the matter is resolved by the crossing words, so I'll leave that the way it is. Same with the regurgitated ale; I've learned something, but I don't think it's necessary to change the clue, especially if that's not a universal rule.

Thanks!

The Chipophone

Anonymous
Fri 8-Jul-2016 21:21
Fan vad ballt! Du är cool.

Captcha: Vergency

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Fri 15-Jul-2016 21:14
This is just awesome! I have old phone co UNIX books that don't go into this depth! Thx for this info
Anonymous
Sat 16-Jul-2016 19:19
Nice one. Thanks.

The bitbuf

Anonymous
Wed 20-Jul-2016 13:20
Would love to buy one!
Me too, please take orders!

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Sat 23-Jul-2016 14:39
I'm using python on Debian os.
I've interfaced bluetooth to uart.
The data coming from bluetooth is received and can be monitored on ttyS0.
Can someone tell me how to copy that data.
I want to paste it in a text file

Fratres

Anonymous
Sun 24-Jul-2016 09:11
I've been returning to this page for a couple of years now, and I point it out to other people on a regular basis, too.

I'm not particularly interested in SIDs or in classical music rendered with computers or anything, but you have created something really special here.

Reading the comments once again I just realized that I agree with Lukas from Prague's statement about how this particular 8 bit sound suits this music so well that it has become (his second and) my favorite version. Someone else, I believe, is saying that the synthetic timbres match the "unworldly chord progressions", well, that is just exactly how I feel about it.

I hope Lukas from Prague doesn't read this last sentence about how my former favorite version was the one for male voices and cellos by the Schola Gregoriana Pragensis.

Anyway, to put it in one word: thanks.

J Canters

A Computer In My Backpack (And A Chiptune In My Heart)

Anonymous
Sat 30-Jul-2016 15:22
I played it on my real C64. Playback seemed faster than the reference mp3.

I got the same playback issue when running it on MAME c64 driver (NTSC).
When using the MAME c64p (PAL) it played nicely.

Any idea what's the issue and if there's anything I can do to play it correctly on my real C64 ?
lft
Linus Åkesson
Sat 30-Jul-2016 16:07
Yep, it's a PAL tune. Most demoscene-related C64 software is made for one TV standard only (and usually it's PAL). However, you can use Sidplay64 to play the tune on an NTSC machine. The latest version is here: http://csdb.dk/release/?id=147517

The tune is also made specifically for the new sid chip (8580). This is also very common in the demoscene, because the filter behaves predictably on the new chip, and that's obviously good for the composer's nerves in a competition. On the original 6581, each individual chip has a very different filter curve.