Forum
Register
Log in
Latest comments
Syndication
RSS feed
Feedback

Forum comments in chronological order

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what people (other than myself) write in the forums. Please report any abuse, such as insults, slander, spam and illegal material, and I will take appropriate actions. Don't feed the trolls.

Jag tar inget ansvar för det som skrivs i forumet, förutom mina egna inlägg. Vänligen rapportera alla inlägg som bryter mot reglerna, så ska jag se vad jag kan göra. Som regelbrott räknas till exempel förolämpningar, förtal, spam och olagligt material. Mata inte trålarna.

May 2012

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Sat 5-May-2012 14:56
Great and insightful article!!!
From this article I gain general knowledge about architecture
of Linux devices(LowLevelDriver<->LineDiscipline<->HighLevelDriver).
It's really a core of Linux I/O.

Thank you very much.

We learn the nibbles

Anonymous
Mon 7-May-2012 02:53
I love this! Haha Thanks!

The pot plant monitor

Anonymous
Mon 7-May-2012 13:49
You could eventually use a piezo pressure sensor to weigh the plant in a similar manner.
once you know the 'ideal' weight for the moist level that the plant needs.
to dry then switch on a little airpump (aquarium pump) that pushes the water out of a closed jar, or a stepper motor pump (like in the old xerox inkjets) that pushes the fluid trough a medical rubber tube.

The bitbuf

Gizah
Mon 7-May-2012 19:23
Every week I come back here hoping you have posted the schematics and code for this, even if it's just an unfinished version.

Please make me the happiest person on Earth.

Parallelogram

Anonymous
Fri 11-May-2012 14:54
QUOTE: "However, during development, I didn't want to recompile the logic design for every little change in the demo software. After all, recompiling all the Verilog code and mapping it to the FPGA takes approximately 40 minutes (with ten shader cores and the highest optimisation settings). Hence, I placed a little bootloader in the UART interrupt, and wrote a communication tool to send a demo binary over a serial cable into the chip."

Xilinx have "data2mem" for exactly this reason, but Altera is (was?) lacking in this regard.

Have you tried the following:
quartus_cdb --update_mif

More at:
http://dbaspot.com/arch/385565-modify-pof-new-esb-rom-content-print.html
Anonymous
Fri 11-May-2012 15:00
Oh, and the Symbolics keyboard - be sure to join http://deskthority.net if you haven't already.

Elements of Chip Music

Anonymous
Sat 12-May-2012 15:17
Yes learned something today, thanks a lot!

Dr. RemiX

Beagleboard stable USB EHCI hack

Anonymous
Sun 13-May-2012 19:32
USB Beagleboard xM fails as well

A case against syntax highlighting

Anonymous
Tue 15-May-2012 19:03
so a couple of months ago i came across this article, and it helped me realize i was too preoccupied with using the right font and syntax colour scheme in order to understand code better, and even with all that effort, i was still struggling. in a final bid to 'get better' at coding i began to indent and format my code heavily, and comment practically every block of code.

now however, i see things much better, i find it much easier to understand code and went from only being able to write small javascript applications while keeping a reference handy, to working on much bigger and complex projects and even assembler.

so great article in my case :-)

The bitbuf

Anonymous
Tue 15-May-2012 22:44

Gizah wrote:

Every week I come back here hoping you have posted the schematics and code for this, even if it's just an unfinished version.

Please make me the happiest person on Earth.
Ditto.

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Tue 15-May-2012 23:52
Thank you so much. Great article!

Presentation tool

Anonymous
Wed 16-May-2012 14:46
the transitions looked cool :-)

The bitbuf

Anonymous
Thu 17-May-2012 01:13
MAKE IT!! at least sell us chips and post the schematics..

or at least least least, post the firmware so we can burn chips and make one!

Elements of Chip Music

Anonymous
Thu 17-May-2012 08:25
This was the best morning I've had for a long time, drilling into and deconstructing the art of sid music composition. The only bad thing was that the talk was too short. More! We want more! Thanks for another great time, Linus!

/Per

Autosokoban

Anonymous
Thu 17-May-2012 20:01
Easy peasy lemon squeezy

--
Xyz_39808

Summer cloud

Anonymous
Fri 18-May-2012 21:44
This is very beautiful. I've had this mp3 in my collection for some years now, and I find myself humming it quite often. Could you try to arrange it for piano please, that would be nice to hear! The song in general, and the melody in particular, seems well suited for that. /Per

The hardware chiptune project

Anonymous
Sun 20-May-2012 02:35
I really like the project and I'm even learning to program instruments and use the tracker effectively, but is there any easy way to add tempo functionality into the program? I don't write code, so I'm not sure how it could be implemented.

Making the Chipophone

Anonymous
Sun 20-May-2012 20:30
You could make real good money with your live acts!

Maybe you should come to Rotterdam in The Netherlands! That would be so awesome.

Walter
wloch@live.nl

Parallelogram

Anonymous
Mon 21-May-2012 00:29
This is awesome! One question: For how long were you working on this project?

The bitbuf

Anonymous
Mon 21-May-2012 18:24
Would love to buy one!

ME TOO

I would pay $300 no questions asked.
Anonymous
Mon 21-May-2012 22:05
YES!!! Please make this commercially available!
Anonymous
Wed 23-May-2012 09:52
I'd buy one. Let us know if you decide to produce more of these.

Autosokoban

Anonymous
Wed 23-May-2012 13:16
http://www.linusakesson.net/games/autosokoban/?v=1&seed=1481526154&level=22

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Thu 24-May-2012 15:22
Good stuff, thanks!

The hardware chiptune project

Anonymous
Sun 27-May-2012 10:32
Hello

I am currently working on a software synth of my own, but I kind of got caught up on mixing the different channels. How exactly do you mix them? Do you just calculate the average of all channels or just add them together?

Thanks for your help

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Mon 28-May-2012 02:48
Thanks.

Sidreloc

Anonymous
Mon 28-May-2012 14:42
Pretty cool. It's amazing how much work has gone into making this work the way it does. You're a great tinkerer!

A case against syntax highlighting

Anonymous
Tue 29-May-2012 17:48
I really think this is a pure opinion debate. You know, like "do you prefer girls with or without makeup ?". Some guys prefer girls with makeup, some others without. It's simple as that ;)

If you want by the way my profound opinion, I'm pro syntax highlighting. But for me it's not at all a "beginner" or "easy learning" stuff, but all the opposite. It's in the range of advanced "productivity tools". I explain a bit : as said by several earlier comments, programming isn't an easy thing. It's necessary to invest time and efforts to master this skill. And such a complex thing must not be learned with the tricks that makes it easier first.

A good approach to basic programming is to use no heavy dedicated studio, but rather have only your compiler and a basic text editor. This way of learning kinda force you to make some very basic errors (syntax) and correct them manually, and force you to understand the workflow of coding -> compiling -> linking -> executing (or whatever, depending on your fav language). I truly think that the best knowledge comes through error : if you make errors, you're able to correct them. And more than that, it creates a massive memory impact, enabling you to prevent further errors better.

So, after working in such a crude manner for some time, you will just be delighted when upgrading to something more user friendly. And you'll discover that some features will simply leverage on your root comprehension to achieve quick and effective result. To stick on syntax highlighting, I simply think it's a cool navigation system to rapidly browse the code, but that's far from the most powerful feature IDEs have to offer. All this hides a real problem, by the way, because it's very common to meet programmers who totally rely on their favorite IDE and are unable to do something outside the vendor's defined scope. That's the true danger : give much power to people that don't understand it...

And to come back on the "training wheels", I would say that you must not learn cycling with them and then re-learn without. But rather you must learn first without training wheels, and when mastered, THEN use them. And you'll be able to do real cool things with your bike that nobody have ever done ! But there I feel the comparison is maybe not so good ;)

As a conclusion, I'd just say that I found the Alice in Wonderland example very cool, but not so much convincing. The syntax of a spoken language is so far from a computer language, and the subset of keywords in the later is so thin, compared to any subset of words in a spoken language (verbs, nouns, or whatever you choose)... So to me it actually makes sense to highlight keywords in code, but absolutely not verbs in Alice. But highlighting dialogs seems to be a cool option. Yeah, I know... semantics ;)