Forum
Register
Log in
Latest comments
Syndication
RSS feed
Feedback

Forum comments in chronological order

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what people (other than myself) write in the forums. Please report any abuse, such as insults, slander, spam and illegal material, and I will take appropriate actions. Don't feed the trolls.

Jag tar inget ansvar för det som skrivs i forumet, förutom mina egna inlägg. Vänligen rapportera alla inlägg som bryter mot reglerna, så ska jag se vad jag kan göra. Som regelbrott räknas till exempel förolämpningar, förtal, spam och olagligt material. Mata inte trålarna.

Aug 2015

A case against syntax highlighting

Anonymous
Fri 14-Aug-2015 22:30
Computer code isn't meant to be read like a text file. It's about structure, containment (in blocks defined by {} in C, C++). Syntax highlighting makes that structure transparent, until you need to read or edit it. For control structures, once they are in place and correct I don't need to look at them again and syntax highlighting, again, makes that transparent.

Try Solarized or some other syntax highlighting scheme that doesn't have sharp color differences.

While code is a text file, it is not prose, but really a document that relies on structure which doesn't have to be parsed along with the contents it contains.

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Sat 15-Aug-2015 19:45
amazingly clear on a very fundamental piece of technology that I never really knew about. Just the build up of the subject is a great way to approach any kind of technical writing. I'll definitely keep this post in mind when I try to tackle writing about a complicated technical subject.
Anonymous
Sun 16-Aug-2015 03:57
"yes" program , produced in 2009 !

Thank you David McKenzie for your contribution to open source community !

I am just wondering what in your background that enabled the FSF to accept such worthless contribution ?

Member of what masonic lodge or what church or son of a war hero or billonarties you have to be so they accept that piece of crap ?

For reference:

yes command - otputs a line on tty until killed !

coded and added to Linux in 2009.

HISTORY
The yes command appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX.
The code for this in GNU is ridiculously long, but in other systems, the code is shorter than the license or the above comment
#include <stdio.h>

int
main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
if (argc > 1)
for (;;)
puts(argv[1]);
else
for (;;)
puts("y");
}
i336_
David Lindsay
Tue 18-Aug-2015 16:55
This is really cool. I've just discovered this; I might have more to add after I've properly read through it. While I remember, though, I want to mention one of the better resources I've found for terminal escape sequences: an old online manpage for dtterm(5), at

http://www2.phys.canterbury.ac.nz/dept/docs/manuals/unix/DEC_4.0e_Docs/HTML/MAN/MAN5/0036____.HTM

Also, the following Github Gist is updated extremely frequently (6 days ago, as I type this); it tracks terminal support for 24-bit color, a fairly new capability that's slowly gaining traction. You should be able to just expect it to be available 3-5 years from now; terminals in hyper-current distros like Arch likely have the support already.

https://gist.github.com/XVilka/8346728

The remote control project

Anonymous
Sat 22-Aug-2015 12:17
Hi. I have also a creative t6060
I opened a high bass music and probably burned some parts of circuit. Could you help me

Gkhngnay86@Gmail.com

Autosokoban

Anonymous
Mon 24-Aug-2015 23:12
This one seems impossible:
http://www.linusakesson.net/games/autosokoban/?v=1&seed=1278908319&level=4