Forum
Register
Log in
Latest comments
Syndication
RSS feed
Feedback

Forum comments in chronological order

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what people (other than myself) write in the forums. Please report any abuse, such as insults, slander, spam and illegal material, and I will take appropriate actions. Don't feed the trolls.

Jag tar inget ansvar för det som skrivs i forumet, förutom mina egna inlägg. Vänligen rapportera alla inlägg som bryter mot reglerna, så ska jag se vad jag kan göra. Som regelbrott räknas till exempel förolämpningar, förtal, spam och olagligt material. Mata inte trålarna.

Dec 2016

Autosokoban

Anonymous
Sat 3-Dec-2016 21:19
Very cool and addictive, would love to see the source! I may need to listen to the Zelda theme, but for the life of me, I can't figure this one out: http://www.linusakesson.net/games/autosokoban/?v=1&seed=2084139227&level=10

Linus, your site is my new homepage!

Cheers,

falk
Anonymous
Sat 3-Dec-2016 21:47
Very cool and addictive, would love to see the source! I may need to listen to the Zelda theme, but for the life of me, I can't figure this one out: http://www.linusakesson.net/games/autosokoban/?v=1&seed=2084139227&level=10

Linus, your site is my new homepage!

Cheers,

falk

nm, got it with the help of my wife. For an engineer, I really suck at puzzles!

Making the Chipophone

Anonymous
Mon 5-Dec-2016 03:20
How much would it cost to have you build me one?

I'll build you one for $15,000. :-P

With shipping to the US? If so, I'm in.
Anonymous
Mon 5-Dec-2016 03:25
Are you willing to release a binary for the 88?

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Sun 11-Dec-2016 23:47
I have a small question.

Can you tell me when the /dev/ttyXXX or /dev/pts/X are added in the /dev directory ?

Initially, I thought that each program had its own /dev/ttyXXX device. When is the kernel adding a new /dev/ttyXXX device ?

Let say that I add the following lines in /etc/rc.local
# Start these program during the init.
/home/user/prog1 &
/home/user/prog2 &
/home/user/prog3 &

Will it create one or three new /dev/ttyXXX device ?
(or will it reuse another one that is already present?)

Thanks for this article.

A Chipful of Love For You

Anonymous
Sat 17-Dec-2016 13:43
Отлично чувачек :)

Brainfuck

Anonymous
Sun 18-Dec-2016 14:10
+++++ +++++ [->++ +++++ +++<] >++.+ +++++ .<+++ [->-- -<]>- -.+++ +++.<
++++[ ->+++ +<]>+ +++.< +++++ +++[- >---- ----< ]>--- --.+. ----- -.<++
+++++ [->++ +++++ <]>++ ++.-- --.<+ +++++ [->-- ----< ]>--- ----- .----
--.++ +++++ +.<++ +[->- --<]> --.++ +++.+ +++.- .<+++ +++[- >++++ ++<]>
+++++ +++.< +++++ ++[-> ----- --<]> ---.+ +++++ +.+++ ++.-- ----- .<+++
++++[ ->+++ ++++< ]>+++ .<+++ ++++[ ->--- ----< ]>--- ----- .<+++ ++++[
->+++ ++++< ]>+++ .<+++ ++++[ ->--- ----< ]>.++ ++.-- -.--- -.<++ +++++
[->++ +++++ <]>++ ++.<+ +++++ [->-- ----< ]>--- ----- ---.- --.<+ +++++
+[->+ +++++ +<]>+ ..<++ ++++[ ->--- ---<] >---- --.-- -.+.+ ++.-- ---.+
++++. ----- ----. <++++ ++++[ ->+++ +++++ <]>++ +++++ +++++ +.<
<!----><!--]--><!--+++--><!--]-->

Massively Interleaved Sprite Crunch

Anonymous
Tue 20-Dec-2016 09:42
Very clever, and thanks for the interesting read!

Greetings from Daniel (Pernod)
Anonymous
Wed 21-Dec-2016 11:00
Very interesting read! I wish there were more of such clear in-depth articles explaining these tricks. That's a clever and elegant solution to encode the crunch schedule into the sprite.

Btw, ((MC | MCBASE) & 0x15) | ((MC & MCBASE) & 0x2a) can be simplified to (MC | MCBASE) & 0x3f, can't it? Is it known what's happening in the hardware when this value is generated?
lft
Linus Åkesson
Wed 21-Dec-2016 12:30
Btw, ((MC | MCBASE) & 0x15) | ((MC & MCBASE) & 0x2a) can be simplified to (MC | MCBASE) & 0x3f, can't it?

No, the proposed simplification would compute bitwise-or between all the bits. The original expression computes bitwise-and for odd-numbered bits, bitwise-or for even-numbered bits.

Is it known what's happening in the hardware when this value is generated?

I have a pretty good guess: Every other bit is inverted in the internal representation. This is sometimes done when implementing registers that have to be incremented quickly, and MC does have to be incremented on three succesive half-cycles. So what *really* happens is a bitwise-and across the entire value, and this is a typical artefact of NMOS logic.
Anonymous
Wed 21-Dec-2016 16:34

lft wrote:

Btw, ((MC | MCBASE) & 0x15) | ((MC & MCBASE) & 0x2a) can be simplified to (MC | MCBASE) & 0x3f, can't it?

No, the proposed simplification would compute bitwise-or between all the bits. The original expression computes bitwise-and for odd-numbered bits, bitwise-or for even-numbered bits.

Oops, that was dumb. I read the article yesterday, but this morning I thought it was ((MC | MCBASE) & 0x15) | ((MC | MCBASE) & 0x2a), that is, MC | MCBASE twice. I should not post before morning coffee :-)

The Chipophone

Anonymous
Sat 24-Dec-2016 00:58
This is really fantastic

Zeugma

Anonymous
Sat 24-Dec-2016 07:21
Hi
Do you know if they will work with z8 files?. It would be cool to play current IF games on the C64. Thanks.

--KMBR

A case against syntax highlighting

Anonymous
Sat 24-Dec-2016 12:45
In your Alice example, you have used the wrong syntax colour for the word White.

Massively Interleaved Sprite Crunch

ralph
Ralph Corderoy
Wed 28-Dec-2016 19:27

lft wrote:

Every other bit is inverted in the internal representation. This is sometimes done when implementing registers that have to be incremented quickly

Is this to speed the carry ripple? Have you a name for this technique so I can Google, or a reference?